The company’s Greek founder, Sotirios Voulgaris created the trademark that is usually written BVLGARI which is in the classical Latin alphabet where V = English U.
Sotirios Voulgaris started his career as a jeweler in his home town Paramythia, where his first store can still be seen. In 1881 he moved to Rome, then started his company and opened his second shop in via Sistina. With the help of his two sons, Costantino and Giorgio, they replaced the second shop with the current flagship store in via dei Condotti in 1905.
During the second world war, costantino bulgari and his wife laura concealed three jewish women in their own home in rome. The bulgaris were ouraged due to the raid of the roman ghetto in October 1943. They were awarded the title of righteous among the nations at yad vashem Jerusalem.
Giorgio’s son Gianni took over the company as co-CEO with his cousin Marina. In the early 1970’s they began opening shops in Geneva, monte carlo, paris, and new york. Gianni established a new watch business and put more emphasis on designing the products. In 1987, Gianni sold his one-third stake in the company to his brothers paolo and Nicola.
Bvlgari watch production was founded in 1980 and is headquartered in Neuchatel.
Bulgari donated 13 million Euros to Save The Children between 2009 and 2011.